Friday, February 1, 2008

The History of My Black Wrap Dress

I think my camera is on its last leg, which is a shame considering I think today is my cutest outfit to date (since the beginning of this blog last weekend anyway). I tried to get hubby who was half-awake to take a pic with no success. :( I get the settings right and now this? Maybe it just needs to be charged. I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

Today I'm wearing a black wrap dress from The Limited I got like 5 years ago. When my grandmother passed away, I planned on wearing a black pants suit to the funeral only to learn that women can't wear pants in the church. See, my dad's side of the family is from the south and they live in a small town, so I was like shocked. The morning of the funeral my dad drove me to the mall, so that I could find something to wear. I was already physically sick and emotionally drained and basically just grabbed the dress and some black stalkings without even trying it on. Well, the dress looks WONDERFUL and has become a staple in my wardrobe. Some people might think it's morbid or whatever, but I don't see it as "granny's funeral dress" and really just as a nice piece of clothing that I happened upon during a sad time. I wear it to work (like today), on the weekends over jeans, and I've even worn it to a wedding. I can dress it up and dress it down, and it's still as black as it was 5 years ago despite relentless washing and going in the dryer too!

Over the black wrap dress I am wearing an army green/gray/khaki men's Dolce & Gabbana shirt (courtesy of hubby). It fits him like a glove and is moderately big on me. I tied the waist and it looks very military style and I like it. I think he was too tired to notice I had it on because I'm sure he would be cranky since it's his favorite shirt. lol... I tired to "borrow" one of his AX belts with a huge buckle but, alas, it was WAYYYY too big. Oh well...

With the dress and shirt, I have black tights and brown vintage ankle boots. My first shoes were a vintage pair of boots in gray, but they're too small and have been since I got them on eBay. They will be going back on eBay this weekend, sadly.

Anyway, a ramble with no pictures. Hopefully I can rectify the situation later today. In the meantime, I have not one thing to work on at work (how lame is that?) so I will be scouring the fashion blogs and hoping the two pairs of shoes I ordered online this week arrive today!

No comments: