Friday, February 15, 2008

The Fashionless Fundraiser

It's been a few days since I've posted. Not for lack of thought, but lack of energy I suppose. Anyway, yesterday I went to a big whoop-it-de-doo luncheon for a benefit with some friends from work. The bay areas creme de la creme (at least for this one charity) were all in attendance and the mayor spoke. One thing that totally shocked me was that the monied people (as it was a fundraiser with table prices and things for auction that cost more than some make in a year).

Before we arrive, I was kinda bummed at my ensemble. I didn't buy anything red because I don't really like red clothing and I don't have tons of pink. I ended up with my stripped BCBG dress , Elie Tahari top, and pink top from Italy. All the items you can see on the blog already.

So... we arrive and walk the little red carpet and all I could think was, wow, everyone looks WACK. I mean, this women are ridiculiously wealthy and the most eye catching outfit was on a man in his 50's that was a black zoot suit with hot pink stripes and a black fadora with white feather. Everyone looked plain, boring and like a super sale at Marshall's. What the dealy-o?

I know that money and taste are not always paired together. Still, I couldn't help for drooling at Louboutins, or the latest "it" bag, or at least a really well cut suit... damn. My first "high society" luncheon and I left wondering 1.) how any caterer could make such an awful dish, and 2.) why was no one dressed interesting?

At least on the way back we passed Gucci and Prada, where I stared longingly at items that I will probably never own, and then pass H&M, where I am going tomorrow.

So, this whole adventure leads me to wonder... where does style come from?

(BTW, the fundraiser charity part of the luncheon was amazing. The things that everyday people can do reminds me that we all really can make a difference. Even the smallest thing can help to spark change. )

No comments: