Sunday, February 3, 2008

An Ephinany

I am beginning to realize where the need to reinvent my style is coming from. I may have mentioned before that when I was younger I was very into thrifting and somewhat unique styles. As I got older I continued to dress how I felt most comfortable and then when I became an adult, a mother with a full time job, etc. then I got lazy. Clothing became a necessity because I had to wear something to work.

In the corporate world one's sense of style can become muted forced to comply with "dress codes" and having to forgo casual Fridays. Dressing became boring, or rather I became bored of dressing and so I began to just wear whatever. Now, that's not to say I just got straight bummy and I always dressed for parties, dates, etc., but just at work I really didn't care anymore. I would go through spurts of wanting to be cute at work and then would go back to the same old slacks, worn the same way, and did I really want to dress up for work anyway?

I realize that I was lazy. I always could find an excuse to come up with why I didn't have to make an effort beyond looking decent. I blamed the dress code for lack of choices when, really that just gives me room to be even more creative! I love dresses and skirts and tights and over-the-knee socks. I can totally let my style run free and not worry about what anyone at work thinks. I realize that in certain circumstances I will have to conform and wear a real suit, without brighly colored tights, in colors that mesh and yet clash at the same time with the rest of my outfits, but on a daily basis fashion can be fun again. Clothing can be fun again. Dressing daily can be more than just something one has to do in this society.

And now I have reason to shop!

No comments: