Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fashion, Blogs & Thrift Stores

This is my first post -- yippie!! I have been inspired by some of the many fashion blogs and decided to start my own to chronicle my stylicous awakening. I've always dressed "cute" by most standards, but always played it safe. In 6th grade my favorite outfit was a man's suit jacket and matching vest (both navy blue), a white tee-shirt, jeans and Converse -- too chic for an 11 year-old! lol... I was cute in that outfit and unique. Fashion was fun. I want that feeling back again. I miss my Converse and so the journey (and this blog) begins...

Last night we went out to celebrate one of my bestfriend , Fiesty's, birthday. My first attempt at a cute outfit involed a super short jean mini-skirt and everything else I ended up wearing. The skirt didn't work, but I came up with an outfit my mom described as "cute and quirky" (um... has quirky ever been a compliment? lol..) and my BF described as "cute hooker wear," which was totally a compliment coming from her. She always scolds me about complaning that I never have anything to wear and asked if I had that sitting in my closet. The skirt I had only worn once four years ago. Wonder what other treasures I have hiding in there?

The top is new-to-me thanks to a thrifting expidition with my maman. I got some 7 Jeans that fit very well in dark denim for $18, an Elie Tahari top for $5 and the top pictured for $5. I had forgotten how rockin' thrifting can be. Some may not understand thrifting or wearing vintage stuff and really it's their loss. My goal for the month is to discover more of the chic thrift and consignment shops in the city that I have never visited and to, hopefully, come out with new treasures! But back to that night (pictured)...
You can't see the detail of the skirt in the picture, but it's a two tiered light cotton skirt with lace trim. Very little house on the prarie. The boots have a fringe on the back which kept dragging on the gross club floor. (Yes, it's taken in the bathroom. Sorry. And the photographer was drunk, but what can ya do? I wanted to have a pic!)


I'm really sorry the pictures don't do the outfit any justice. I felt quite cute and dare I say quirky?

Top: Thrifted $5
Skirt: Forever 21
Boots: Andiamo
Tights: Walgreen's brand 2 pairs/$5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this outfit. good find!! you look great!

lisa